vi bug?

Lambert Meertens lambert at mcvax.uucp
Fri Nov 21 18:02:11 AEST 1986

In article <939 at brl-adm.ARPA> stanonik at nprdc.arpa (Ron Stanonik) writes:
> One of our users pointed out a problem with vi [..]:
> The problem is a failure of vi to properly "put" a large (half a line
> or so) chunk of text into another line when two conditions exist: 1) The
> wrapmargin is set to some non-zero value; 2) The put is done near the end
> of the line (i.e., the inserted text will cross the wrapmargin).

A third condition is that the text in the put buffer contains spaces.  What
seems to happen is that a space on which wrap should occur AND the character
following it are not inserted.  Instead, the non-space characters following
each such space are interpreted as commands(!), in the reverse order of that
in which they occur.

This annoying bug has been in vi as long as I can remember and has persisted
up through BSD 4.3.  It has been signalled before on the net.  It is
probably just a silly coding error that should be easy to spot (assuming
you know your way around in the vi code), what with such specific and
repeatable behaviour.

--

Lambert Meertens, CWI, Amsterdam; lambert at mcvax.UUCP