Generic Problem with Ultrix/BSD dump/restore

Gordon Vickers ems at prls.UUCP
Tue Nov 18 18:50:53 AEST 1986

In article <992 at cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>Is there are known problem with using dump/restore when processing a large
>[ several lines omitted]
>Ah yes, Ultrix 1.2, running on a poor little VAX 11/750.
>--
>George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

  We too are running Ultrix 1.2 on a poor little VAX 11/750 (not so bad when
 you are the sole user though).

  I know of no problems with restore, but dump(1) does have a bug carried
 over from Ultrix 1.1 .  Dump(1) does not correctly compute the amount of
 tape required and can reach end of tape unexectedly early. When this
 occures, dump stops and prompts the operator with a messages asking weather
 the process should be aborted.
  The work-around for this is to specify a smaller tape size (I specify
 a tape size of 2200 :  dump 0s 2200 filesystem   ).

------------- fold, spindle, mutilate at will ------(it's your CRT) ----
 Gordon P. Vickers, (408) 991-5370,
 Signetics Corp., PO Box 409, M/S 69, Sunnyvale, Ca 94086
 {allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!philabs!prls!ems
  or
 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!prls!ems

   Kick the habit: ask the American Lung Association about their
    "Freedom From Smoking" class. It worked for me, the wife, and 75%
     of the class. What a differance! Its GREAT!

  [ In this correspondance, I am representing myself and no others.
  I am not part of the PRLS group, but they are nice enough to allow me
  to TIP(1) to an account on their machine so I can send/receive email.]