a new (?) twist on filesystem backups

trb at ima.UUCP trb at ima.UUCP
Sun Nov 23 11:34:03 AEST 1986

I have been using cpio to save filesystems to move from a Sys V to a
4.3bsd.  I am happier with cpio than with tar; let's assume that I have
to use cpio (I have the BRL Sys V cpio on 4.3).

As we know, cpio likes a list of files on standard input.  Problem is,
people normally use find to generate that list, but it happily crosses
filesystem boundaries.  How to generate a list of files on a filesystem
for cpio?  find | grep -v?  No, ncheck!

Yes, hackers, ncheck has not quite been totally superseded by fsck!
Ncheck generates a list of i-number/pathname pairs.  Just run the
output through sed -e 's%[/]*/%%' and you're off!  Ncheck stupidly
prints the filesystem name followed by a colon as its first line of
output, but cpio will ignore that (or you can sed it out).

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Boston, MA   +1 617 247 1155
	Society for the Preservation of Obsolete
	File System Maintenance Utilities