I/O Chain Programs and C

DWIGHT wilcox at nosc-tecr.arpa
Wed Nov 19 11:59:07 AEST 1986

     I have a machine that provides independently programmed I/O
channels.  The programs executed by the I/O channels are called
I/O chain programs.  Chain programs specify both integer constants
and address constants in their fields.  The address constants
point to things like buffer definition structures and words containing
interface modes.
     If it is not too much trouble, I would like to be able to program
I/O drivers in the "C" language.  The question is how do I represent
the chain programs.  Should I use the asm() function?  Should I try
and declare an array of words whose words are initialized with constants
equal to the instruction binary equivalents?  I tried the second method
and ran into all kinds of typing problems.
     Anyone have any ideas or experience?  Should I give up and go to
assembly language?
     Thanks in advance,
     --Dwight Wilcox
       NOSC Code 424