bitfields

tony mason wmam at sphinx.UChicago.UUCP
Wed Nov 26 14:56:14 AEST 1986

[***]

Ok, folks, here is the burining question of the hour:  how are bit fields in
C dealt with?  As I read K&R arrays of bit fields are allowed, HOWEVER, in
the Microsoft C compiler Version 4.0, they explicitly state that they are not
allowed.  Which is it?  Has X3J11 come up with anything regarding this?  I
can sympathize with Microsoft and other 'C' compiler manufacturers about
implementing this, but, if they don't, they really should tell you that this
is a deviation.

Any and all input is appreciated in this regard.  I would especially like to
hear from anyone on X3J11, other 'C' compiler makers and (quite unlikely from
what I hear) Microsoft.

I look forward to hearing!

Tony Mason             >>>>>>>>> University of Chicago <<<<<<<<<<<
uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!wmam, ...ihnp4!gargoyle!euler!tony
bitnet:   wmam%sphinx at UChicago.Bitnet
ARPA:     m1.spokane%UChicago.Mailnet at MIT-Multics.ARPA