CYBER word length

Kim DeVaughn kim at amdahl.UUCP
Wed Nov 12 10:26:46 AEST 1986

In article <612 at astroatc.UUCP>, philm at astroatc.UUCP (Phil Mason) writes:
>                       CDC thought that nobody would ever use more than 64
> different symbols for I/O so they made their "byte" six bits long.  Packing
> ten of them in a word is convenient, to say the least.

And then they discovered that people would use more than 64 symbols, and
had to come up with an escape kluge to get additional symbols.  So now
CDC Display Codes can be either 6-bits or 12-bits in length.

/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]