NFS future enhancements?

martin at minster.UUCP martin at minster.UUCP
Sat Nov 8 23:54:50 AEST 1986

In article <5255 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <41986 at beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick at seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>>I think the most wonderful thing Sun could do is enhance NFS to support
>>UNIX SEMANTICS. (You know, things like forced append, 4.2bsd flock, etc).
>
>system implementations.  Perhaps then NFS-2 could support full UNIX
>semantics on UNIX systems and emulate whatever it can on MS/DOS

FULL Unix semantics MUST include proper access to devices as well as to
files! If this means losing the state-less nature of NFS then so be it.
(If NFS systems are so unreliable that this is a problem, I suggest they
should get their act together on reliability, BEFORE they try to establish
their systems as de-facto standards - the system I'm typing this on
usually stays up for several months at a time, and then is normally
brought down for PM, or such like, ie. on purpose)

Despite the mess which System V release 3 has made of STREAMS (in comparison
with the beautiful system (Streams - note the case) described by Richie),
at least they got PROPER UNIX-FILESYSTEM symantics right! Now if only
the licience wasn't silly...
	Martin