multivol piped to tar

Keeper Of News tony at xios.UUCP
Thu Nov 27 06:31:37 AEST 1986

I have a similar problem on a number of machines when I use the
'untarmail' script which we got with Compress 4.0.
What happens is that this script executes the pipeline

	atob | uncompress | tar xf -

and when tar has to create a directory, it hangs.  If you kill it and
restart it, it works until it has to make another directory.  If you
change this to

	atob > file
	uncompress < file | tar xf -

it works fine.  Related problem??