3b2's and elec. codes

J.G.Smits jgs at sfmag.UUCP
Tue Oct 28 03:25:42 AEST 1986

> Line eater: yes
> Apology: My apologies if you are seeing this for the second time.  I tried
> to post it yesterday, but it never appeared in the newsgroup, so my gateway
> machine appears to have thrown it on the floor, but I'm not certain.
>
> (...)
> Is the 3b2 UL-certified, and does it have a circuit breaker on the back
> panel?  If not, then I'd be a bit surprised that it would pass UL inspection.
> Please not that this is not a flame against the 3b2 in general, just against
> this particular feature.

The 3b2 is UL listed Data Processing Equipment code "66L0". (I just looked at
the back of the machine...I don't understand electrical codes or what
this actually means.)

The 3b2 also meets FCC Part 15 as Class A Data Processing Equipment....

> The moral of the story is: software-controlled power disconnect is a code
> loser.  If you're designing a computer, and you're thinking about putting
> this feature in, DON'T!
>  (...)

> Dave Cornutt, Gould Computer Systems, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
> (...)

Soft power switches are a valuable feature.  They provide a means for
naive users to turn the machines off without corrupting the machine.
I don't believe there are any electrical code problems with the 3B2's
implementation of the feature.

If anyone on the net knows of a case where a machine with a soft-power
switch violates a local code, I'd be interested.  I'll summarize to
the net if there is sufficent interest.

						Jeff Smits
						AT&T Information Systems
						...ihnp4!attunix!jgs