Location of partition table on disk

mac at esl.UUCP mac at esl.UUCP
Wed Oct 29 12:30:25 AEST 1986

In article <1073 at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> mangler at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) writes:
>In article <8102 at sun.uucp>, mojo at sun.UUCP writes:
>> In the inode partitioning approach you have to have a file system open
>> (which means you have to know partitioning info) before you can read the
>> inode to get the partitioning info.
>

>The problem arises earlier in the boot process.  The first call to
>a 4.2bsd disk driver is not an open(), as you might expect; rather,
>it's an xxsize() call to determine the size of the primary swap
>partition.
>
>Putting the partition info in the inode is a great idea (no limit
>on the number of partitions) but the bootstrapping problems are real.
>It is dangerous to have one of your partitions defined separately,
>e.g. the swap partition defined in the kernel; it causes accidents.

	I remember beta testing a DG-UX system which you could tell,
	in the config file, the size you wanted the swap space to be.
	You could tell it any number, but it used 70,000 blocks.

	Made life real difficult if you tried to start /usr right after
	swap, and you spec'ed swap at < 70,000 blocks...

	we would bring it up single user, then quick adb the kernel.

	Life in the fast lane...