Backups to disks

Bil Lewis BIL at su-sierra.arpa
Thu Oct 9 06:21:49 AEST 1986

	It recently occured to me that my company spends at least $100k/year
to do backups on our 8 (soon to be N+1) unix machines.  [That's guess-timating
human costs + tape & local storage.]  We have a monthly off-site,
and cycle ~100+ tapes for dailys on-site.

	If we purchased 1 more Eagle and did daily backups to that,
we could dispense with all the local/daily stuff completely, improve
response on restores (let the users do it!) and have our tape operator
do more interesting tasks.

	Question:  Is there some basic factor I'm missing, or is
this brilliant?  [Has someone already done this?  Is it as much of
a win as I figure?]

thx for the thoughts	-Bil (a new sys adm, but growing old fast)

-------