Problems with rlogin

roy at phri.UUCP roy at phri.UUCP
Thu Oct 23 02:13:26 AEST 1986

	Recently, a strange problem has cropped up with rlogin.  We've got
a Vax-11/750 running 4.2BSD and a bunch of Sun-3's running Sun 3.0 Unix.
One of our Sun-3/50's (adenine) can't rlogin to the vax.  It used to work
fine, but then for no apparant reason it stopped working.  Rebooting
adenine seemed to have fixed the problem, but then it came back.  The
symptoms are:

	If I try to rlogin from adenine to the vax, I get "connection timed
out".  I can rlogin from the vax to adenine, however.  All the other suns
can rlogin to the vax without problems and I can also rlogin from adenine
to some other sun and from there I can rlogin to the vax.  Telnet from
adenine directly to the vax works fine.

	I'm stumped.  My guess is that the is a pty that's hung up and for
some reason the triple (localhost=adenine, remotehost=vax, protocol=rlogin)
always finds that same pty.  Why that should happen I have no idea, nor do
I know how to go about testing this theory or fixing the problem.  Any
ideas?
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016