Unix box for $10 a month! Is this a scam?

John Plocher plocher at puff.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 24 07:05:58 AEST 1986

In article <912 at cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <230 at boake2.UUCP> scott at boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
>>I recently received the following in the mail.  I have NO connection with
>>any of the people affiliated with this group.
>>
>... omitted ...
>>
>>As I said before, I'm not connected in anyway to this group.
>Lots of other weasel wording there too.  Amuse yourself: take the letter back
>to the post office, mention that it looks questionable and could they please
>forward it to a postal inspector for review...

I called them up today - An answering service picked up the call:

them:  "Mega services, may I help you?"

me:    Is this the company offering a Unix Machine for $10.00 a month?

       "Yes, but I'm just answering the phone for the Mega Users group"

       I'd like info on their Buying Club offer.

       "I'm sorry, that program has been discontinued because of legal problems.
        If you leave your name and aderess, we can send you info on our other
        products."

       No thanx, bye.

--
"Never trust an idea you get sitting down" - Nietzche
------------	{harvard,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)