two unix questions (vi and mail)

Burch Seymour bseymour at houligan.UUCP
Fri Oct 17 08:11:12 AEST 1986

Two quick questions that are of small importance, but we're curious.

1) Anyone know how to tell mail to always go straight into vi? That is
   instead of using it's own simple editor and typing ~v. Most folks
   here seem to think it can't be done, but it seems too simple and
   obvious a feature to not be there.

2) Why does 'vi -r file' not set the 'dirty bit' (or whatever it's called)
   so that an immediate exit with ZZ will save the file. I lost some
   changes after a crash because I had to leave and in my haste just
   entered vi (ala above) and exited with ZZ. This did not save my file.
   I think it should have. Any thoughts?

  "A nation that beats its swords into plowshares generally ends up
    doing the plowing for one that has kept it swords."  Anon

Burch Seymour -Gould C.S.D. at   ....mcnc!rti-sel!gould!bseymour