ATT 3b2 firmware password

james james at reality1.UUCP
Wed Oct 15 03:48:00 AEST 1986

In article <309 at pinney.munsell.UUCP>, pac at munsell.UUCP (Paul Czarnecki) writes:
| As the originator of the request I think I can shed some light on this
| matter and then let it die.

| Now about that powerswitch...  Did *anybody* see the ":-)" at the end of
| the paragraph? The joke, you see, involves considering the power switch
| to actually be a power switch even though it is plainly labeled ON and
| STANDBY.  After a frustrating session it is somewhat satisfying (in an
| immature yet humanistic sense) to "kill" the machine by turning it off.
| Having this not work is the punch line to the whole affair.

I honestly did not see the smiley face.  I thought I looked for one,
particularly given theh kind of reply I was preparing to post, but I guess
I didn't look hard enough.

| For a machine that just might wind up on a computer naive user's desk,
| an ON/STANDBY switch IS A GOOD IDEA.  The problems that such a switch
| can cause by not shutting down the machine in the case of fire, flood,
| nuclear winter are sufficiently rare and the savings here (no munged
| filesystems) are tremendous.  Good Idea ATT.

| As an aside, I learned two things this week.  Satire and Humor just
| don't work in written correspondence.  You must label them properly.
| Also, never respond to personal hate mail with personal hate mail.  Go
| get a cup of coffee or watch MTV or something, wait 4 hours (or 4 days)
| and then respond.  Let cooler head prevail.

Again, sorry for misinterpreting the message.  I guess it did come across
pretty badly...  *sigh*  In face to face communications there many clues
to satire and humor, and even verbal communication rarely seems to have this
problem.  Oh well, I'll look harder next time.

--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!ut-ngp!utastro!osi3b2!james    "Live Free or Die"