Which commands (in /bin & /usr/bin) must have set user ID (for root)

seb022 at tijc02.UUCP seb022 at tijc02.UUCP
Sat Oct 18 06:56:39 AEST 1986

I currently have VAX 11/785s running AT&T UNIX V Release 2 Version 2.0.
I am wondering which commands in /bin /and /usr/bin (owned by root, group is
sys)  must have the set user ID, or set group ID on execution in order
to work correctly.

An example of a command  is /usr/bin/at. Below is what ls -l would produce.

$ ls -l /usr/bin/at

-rwsr-xr-x  1  root 	sys        31448 Jul 3  1984 /usr/bin/at

I hesitate to change the permissions without knowing why the commands
had the set user id on execution in the first place.  Or in other
words, I have changed the permissions on a FEW commands and they stopped
working.

Scott Bemis
mcnc!rti-sel!tijc02!root