chroot(2) security

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Sun Oct 5 09:05:37 AEST 1986

> As an aside, if /bin were not readable, no one could use PATH to find
> anything in it, not tooo cool, if you ask me...

To be precise, if "/bin" were searchable but not readable, no one *using the
C shell* could use PATH to find anything in it, presumably because "rehash"
scans the directories in the PATH; neither the Bourne shell nor the Korn
shell, whose similar hashing mechanisms add items to their tables only when
a command is actually run, have any problem.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)