Which commands (in /bin & /usr/bin) must have set user ID (for root)

guy at sun.UUCP guy at sun.UUCP
Tue Oct 28 04:42:53 AEST 1986

> /etc/update's liking for holding certain directories open all the time
> causes similar problems when those directories are updated.  I've never
> understood the purpose of that.

Back in the days of V7, UNIX didn't treat the list of free inode table
entries as an LRU cache for inodes.  Holding selected directories open
kept their inodes in core, and meant the system didn't have to go to the
disk every time it wanted to get that inode.  Of course, when you have two
processors (or processes) sharing access to some data structure, and keeping
local cached copies of that data structure, you have to be careful to avoid
cache consistency problems like the ones you see when dual-porting.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)