C on Apple 2e

doug doug at catuc.UUCP
Thu Oct 16 05:52:45 AEST 1986

In article <8610141553.AA14535 at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, yi at wisdom.BITNET (Jacob Itzikowitz) writes:
> Would appreciate any information on the availability of a C compiler
> or interpreter on an Apple 2e microcomputer. Thank You.

I have personally used a compiler from Manx Software Systems for the last
few years. Their Number is 800-221-0440. My experiences are that it is
fairly bug-free now and is quite close to K&R C. The compiler is very
slow as you might expect on an 8-bit machine. The code it produces is
very fast but often large. (Printf is about 8k) It compiles to native
6502 code (fast but large) or a pseudo-code that is interpreted (small
but slow). These may be mixed to achieve speed/size tradeoffs. The source
to all libraries except floating point math is included, as well as a
shell that imitates some of the UNIX tools. I recommend a hard disk drive
for devolopment due to the large size of the programs. Two floppies is the
minimum but is EXTREMELY slow due to swapping of the disks. PRODOS and DOS
3.3 versions are available. My experience extends only to the DOS 3.3
version. Look at any recent issue of BYTE for their ad.

Doug Morse

..!arizona!catuc!doug

U. S. Mail
1600 N Country Club