Seeking a Development Environment (Sun?)

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.UUCP
Fri Oct 31 15:55:35 AEST 1986

In article <4956 at brl-smoke.ARPA> hi-csc!giebelhaus at umn-cs.arpa (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) writes:
>I don't know if there is anything official yet, but I'll bet anyone
>who wants to take me up on it a beer that Apollo will offer NFS as a
>product before the end of the year.  As I hear the rumor, there is a
>royalty problem with Sun in providing NFS.  I seem to remember another
>vendor (possibly Piramid) having much the same problem.

Nope. Pyramid was the very first vendor to sign up for NFS; there were never
royalty problems. Working with Sun has always been a pleasure; the company is
much too self confident to stoop to petty royalty squabbles.

An employee of Integrated Solutions Inc., a 680x0 workstation manufacturer in
San Jose, did grumble on the net on what they thought were interminable delays
in getting their NFS source. Not the license, but the physical release tape.
The implication was that Sun was stalling. I checked on that myself, and found
that the delays were legitimate.

Sun has covered their investment another way, by refusing to license ND. This
means that Sun diskless workstations must have a Sun file server, at least for
boot and swapping. But Sun has already indicated that they will be phasing out
ND, in favor of giving NFS the necessary capabilities. I'm assuming -- I don't
know -- that Sun will license out the enhancements to NFS as they always have.

(Anyone for a diskless Pyramid? Sure.... :-) )

DISCLAIMER: These are entirely my own opinions, having nothing to do with
anything....

<csg>

I suppose that any society that has been as naughty as ours has been lately
can use a little hysterical paranoid fascism. What's to lose?