Advice sought on VAX UNIX Ethernet/TCP-IP

Steve Barber barber at rabbit1.UUCP
Wed Oct 15 15:23:16 AEST 1986

We are going to set up an Ethernet between our two 11/750 VAXen running BSD 4.3
and need advice regarding what equipment to buy to implement this.  Our
criterion for purchase are (in descending order of importance)
reliability, support, performance, price, and compatibility with
non-VAX TCP/IP.  Who are the best vendors in this field?  What kinds of
experiences do you have with them?  What kind and amount of system
administration is required?  Should I get a "smart" board (on-board protocols)
or a "dumb" board?  I have beginnings of answers to these questions,
but I need more input.  A summary of information will be posted to
net.lan.

P.S. I have contact info for Interlan, Excelan, CMC, and 3-Com already.
--
Steve Barber    Rabbit Software Corp.
...!ihnp4!{cbmvax,cuuxb}!hutch!barber  ...!psuvax1!burdvax!hutch!barber