request for info on at&t 7300 unix pc

ccjoan ccjoan at ucdavis.UUCP
Thu Oct 2 04:38:11 AEST 1986

> Software wise the Unix PC is a fairly sound system, but the hardware is
> a piece of junk.  I had a problem with the monitor, system board and
> power supply. They never did fixed the monitor!  I kept calling and they
> stalled until it was out of warranty.  They even close the ticket twice
> without me every seeing a tech.
>
> 	Darryl Wagoner
> 	Raytheon Co.; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x4089

I have been very happy with the AT&T 7300 and the service from AT&T.
An AT&T 7300 was purchased at my previous place of employment.   AT&T
connected an AT&T 6300 and an IBM-XT to the 7300, including running the cables,
installed our software and tested the system for communications problems.
Problems were found with communications between the IBM and 7300 because of
an unusual graphics card.  AT&T researched the problem and suggested solutions.
During this time the warranty ran out.  I contacted our AT&T technical
representative.  He arranged for an extension of the warranty with the main
office.

For almost a year now there have been no problems with the AT&T system but many
with the IBM.  We have used the AT&T hotline for many software questions and
have been very pleased with the service.  MS-DOS/IBM clone systems do not
provide a software/hardware interface service at all.

With any system, service and satisfaction is dependent upon the company repre-
sentative.  We originally dealt with a salesperson who could not handle our
problems.  We requested a technical representative, were assigned one, and were
very happy after that.  We dealt with one person, maintained followup communi-
cations and addressed all problems to him.

Darryl Wagoner's system was defective (quality control programs do not detect
all defects) and should have been dealt with promptly.  But that is a personnel
problem not a product problem.

Joan Gargano