Remote operation of a PC from a UNIX system using ``cu''

Dave Marquardt dave at rosevax.UUCP
Fri Oct 10 00:12:12 AEST 1986

In article <275 at bakerst.UUCP>, bob at bakerst.UUCP (Bob White) writes:
> There is a public domain program, called MS-KERMIT, which lets the PC
> and compatibles act as a file server.  It can both send and receive files,
> assuming you've got a program on the Unix box that can pass files to
> the PC the way MS-KERMIT is expecting.  The file transfers use the Kermit
> protocol.  The package is supported by Columbia University (I think that's
> the right university...) and they can provide source for a number of different
> machines, although I don't know if they support Unix yet.  I have the
> MS-KERMIT program and documentation, if you're interested.

Yes, there is a UNIX Kermit available, for most versions of UNIX (I've seen
it on V7, System III, System V, 4.2BSD, Ultrix, ...).  An additionaly
capability of a PC running Kermit in server mode is that you can also
run commands, as long as they don't require interaction.  For example, from
the UNIX Kermit, you could type

	REMOTE DIR

and the remote Kermit (the one on the PC) would send back the output from
the DIR command.

Probably the best way to get Kermit is to check with others in your area who
might have it.

	Dave
--
Dave Marquardt			UUCP:		dave at rosevax.UUCP
Rosemount, Inc.			Telephone:	612/828-3057

"I do not like green eggs and ham.  I do not like them Sam I Am!"