ingres and 4.2 BSD

Alan Evans alan at cubsvax.UUCP
Tue Oct 14 23:30:59 AEST 1986

Article 377 of net.database:
From: alan at cubsvax.UUCP (Alan Evans)
Newsgroups: net.database
Subject: ingres
Date: Sat, 11-Oct-86 15:50:30 EDT

We are a VAX 11/780 installation running Ultrix 1.1 and are attempting to
bring up Version 8 of Ingres from the 4.3 BSD distribution tape on our
machine. After initial success, we have encountered consistent I/O errors
using print and printr which return messages such as "Unix error," "Bad
file number," etc. Presumably these are due to the changes between 4.2
and 4.3 BSD. Before trying to track down these errors in the source code,
we would like to know:

    (1) Has anyone else tried this besides us? (Advice, assistance?)

    (2) Is what we are trying to do in fact hopeless?

Please respond to cmcl2!rna!cubsvax!alan (Alan Evans, Columbia University
Department of Biological Sciences)