Remote operation of a PC from a UNIX system using ``cu''

Greg Busby gkb at necntc.UUCP
Sat Oct 11 01:15:12 AEST 1986

In article <275 at bakerst.UUCP> bob at bakerst.UUCP (Bob White) writes:
>There is a public domain program, called MS-KERMIT, which lets the PC
>and compatibles act as a file server.  It can both send and receive files,
>assuming you've got a program on the Unix box that can pass files to
>the PC the way MS-KERMIT is expecting.  The file transfers use the Kermit
>protocol.  The package is supported by Columbia University (I think that's
>the right university...) and they can provide source for a number of different
>machines, although I don't know if they support Unix yet.  I have the
>MS-KERMIT program and documentation, if you're interested.
>
>       Bob White

KERMIT is available on many, many machines.  There are several
implementations for Unix, and several for the IBM PC and compatibles.
The program is used extensively here at NEC and we have only had one
small problem with an old version of the unix KERMIT.  I have adapted
KERMIT for several machines myself, and would like to say that it is
very well-written, highly modular (requiring only machine specific
changes in a small part of the program) and very-well thought out.  I
would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a public domain
computer to computer communications program.  Columbia University is
indeed the distributor, and you can reach them at:

	Columbia University
	Center for Computing Activities
	New York, NY 10027

The author is Frank da Cruz, who has recently published a book on the
subject of KERMIT.

Oops, I just realized I said "public domain".  The program is coyrighted
by Columbia University, but "Permission is granted to any individual or
institution to copy or use this document and the programs described in it,
except for explicitly commercial purposes" [from the manual].

Disclaimer:  NEC Electronics, Inc. provides and supports KERMIT for its
customers to aid in the development of programs.  We are in no other way
connected to Columbia University.