getty autobauding

Chris Grevstad chris at minnie.UUCP
Wed Oct 15 08:57:43 AEST 1986

We are running 4.2BSD on an Integrated Solutions 68020 machine.

I had a question about getty() and autobauding.  I have successfully hacked
getty() to do autobauding but it results in an interesting phenomenom.  (At
which point you question whether it was really successful or not).

The standard login banner gets printed and then the 'login:' prompt, which
should terminate with a space.  Well, depending on what baud rate you are
running at, it will terminate in a space or '|' or 'p' or 'x'.  It really
looks like a baud problem, but by this time getty() has output perhaps 40
characters, all good except the last one.  In fact, if you just hit a return,
all succeeding characters are correct.  The wierd characters all occur at
speeds less than 4800.  The getty() initially has the port running at 4800.

Any suggestions?

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

	"Too many notes.  There are just simply too many notes."