Unix box for $10 a month! Is this a scam?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.cbm.UUCP
Sun Oct 19 12:50:54 AEST 1986

In article <230 at boake2.UUCP> scott at boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
>I recently received the following in the mail.  I have NO connection with
>any of the people affiliated with this group.  I don't know any more about
>it that I have in this letter.  I'm just posting it to see what comments
>other USENETers have about it.

... omitted ...

>As I said before, I'm not connected in anyway to this group.  I would just like
>to get some feed back from people about this deal.  If you decide to call them
>post a message as to what you find out.
>Scott Boake

It sounds more than a bit fishy to me - your receiving anything for your $10
per month is completely contingent on their getting 100,000 other members.

Even with a sucker being born every minute, there just aren't that many
people out there who would be silly enough to commit money to this sort
of thing.  I'm not even sure there are 100,000 people who would buy one
of these systems outright.

Lots of other weasel wording there too.  Amuse yourself: take the letter back
to the post office, mention that it looks questionable and could they please
forward it to a postal inspector for review...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at seismo.css.GOV