Programs knowing "root"

Joe Ilacqua ilacqua at bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP
Thu Oct 2 02:27:46 AEST 1986

In article <619 at ssc-bee.UUCP> bossert at ssc-bee.UUCP (John Bossert) writes:
>Can someone supply me with a list of programs depending on the user
>with uid==0 having the name "root"?  Specifically, I'd like to know
>what would break if I renamed "root" to "mother", for example.  I'm
>primarily concerned with 4.[23] BSD, but the System V information would
>be valuable too.

	This is not major but:

	Rsend can not write to some with a UID of 0 if the name is not
root. (This is because part of the check to see if the terminal is in
use is to see if it is owned by root)
|      I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong. |
|UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!ilacqua                              |
|ARPANET: ilacqua at bucsb.bu.edu                                       |
|CSNET: ilacqua%bucsb at bu-cs      BITNET: engemnc at bostonu             |