Unix box for $10 a month! Is this a scam?

Larry Lippman larry at kitty.UUCP
Sat Oct 18 02:06:17 AEST 1986

In article <230 at boake2.UUCP>, scott at boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
> I recently received the following in the mail.
>     The Mega-Users' Group is currently campaigning to increase
> its membership to 100,000.  With this kind of unity will come a
> very special buying power - a power that will entitle you, as a
> member, to the following:  one of the most powerful openframe
> computer systems available, with a 68020 CPU card or a 80386 CPU
> card - a powerful, multi-user system, supporting UNIX or XENIX on
> your choice of Multibus or S-100.
>
>     Your membership fee of $10 per month covers the entire
> system as follows:
> - one Motorola 68020 CPU or Intel 80386 CPU, running at 12 Mhz
>     These systems will be complete and ready to run.  Your
> choice of desktop or rack-mount enclosure.
>     The only membership requirement is that you remain a member
> through the time your system is shipped to you.  Our analysts
> project that we will reach our base of 100,000 members in 4-6
> months.
>     While you await shipment of your system, The Mega-Users'
> Group will send you its monthly newsletter.  Each issue will

	I bet people will be waiting a LONG, LONG time!

>     Shock-waves have begun to travel throughout the industry
> regarding this offer.

	I bet!  Any company with the balls to try and scam UNIX users will
certainly create shock waves.

>     We have invested over $20,000 in the initial phase, just to
> bring this concept to you now.

	Wow!  A WHOLE $ 20K!

>     We encourage all users' group presidents and other
> interested parties to call us at (203) 634 - 4593, 9AM to 5PM
> Eastern, Monday thru Friday.

	I encourage all people receiving this solicitation in the mail to
contact the Postal Inspection Service of the U.S. Post office, since this
appears to be an attempt at fraud by use of the mail.

>                     ENROLLMENT FORM
>     Yes - I want to join the Mega-Users' Group.  Enclosed please
> find my check of money order in the amount of $__________, for
> _______month(s) membership.  I understand that as the membership
> reaches 100,000, I will receive my choice of the Multibus or
> S-100 system describem above.

	Notice that it never promises you WHEN the system will be delivered;
it only says "as the membership reaches 100,000".  What if the membership
NEVER reaches 100,000 in the first year?  Say, in the first ten years?  The
"Mega-Users' Group" can say something like: "Well, the membership is STILL
reaching 100,000 - so you'll have to wait..."
	While it may appear that the "Mega-Users' Group" has a legal "out"
in this solicitation, they could still well be prosecuted for fraud.  If
this alleged users group has not in fact done all of the preparation for
manufacturing and distributing these supposed computers _prior_ to making
the solicitation by mail, it could be established that they had no "intent"
to _ever_ manufacture and distribute the supposed product, thereby creating
an important element necessary for a fraud prosecution.  Such preparation
for manufacturing and distribution would cost >> more that the $ 20K that
they claim to have invested!
	I would hope that no member of the UNIX "community" is foolish enough
to fall for this scam.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231           {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo|utzoo}!/
==>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3}      "Have you hugged your cat today?"