Microport Unix -- Large Model Problems

Ron Flax ron at vsedev.VSE.COM
Thu Oct 30 02:14:11 AEST 1986

Has anyone  else  out  there  been  experiencing  problems  with porting
programs to Microport Unix V/AT that fall into the large model category?
It seems  that  most  everything  I  port  (try  to port?)   has pointer
alignment problems,  as  indicated by  lint, or  just core  dumps with a
segmentation violation at strange places in the code, like on a strlen()
call?

Sdb seems to indicate a  memory fault  as the  culprit and  I think that
most of the problems are pointer related since an 'int' ain't
necessarily an 'int'  (ie.   16 bits  in small  model, 32  bits in large
model).  Does anyone have any  words of  wisdom as  to how  one might go
about fixing pointer alignment problems without too much pain?

One other unrelated problem I have with Microport  Unix is  that for one
reason or  another  the system  seems to  run for  a while  then when it
decides its had enough it just  plain goes  south.   It appears  to be a
deadlock situation  since  terminals  that  had  active  sessions  going
continue to echo keystroke even  though it  doesn't respond  to them and
non-active sessions (ie.  getty's running) do NOT echo keystrokes.  This
obviously quite annoying as you might imagine...   One  other thing that
is interesting is that I  know of  two other  sites with  the exact same
problem on  different  hardware,  but  Microport claims  they have never
heard of it?  Has anyone else  seen this  behavior?   Incidentally I was
running SCO Xenix  V successfully  for about  6 months  prior to getting
Microport Unix.  Microport are you listening 8-)

--
ron at vsedev.VSE.COM	(Ron Flax)
UUCP:	..!seismo!vsedev!ron