ATT SVR3 distribution

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sat Oct 4 15:55:18 AEST 1986

In article <4325 at brl-smoke.ARPA> Mitchell Lerner <cadovax!mitchell at LOCUS.UCLA.EDU> writes:
>I (personaly) just see that ATT could have been more considerate of developers
>that are makeing THEIR system valuable by not throwing away facilities that we
>take as being part of our development environment.

As near as I can tell, the powers-that-be at ATTIS view UNIX primarily
in the context of being packaged with their hardware (e.g. 3B2s) for
sale to end users, rather than as a product aimed primarily at software
developers (who provide the actual applications that the end user really
cares about).

For a dramatic illustration of the difference between these audiences,
check out the Apple Macintosh software development facilities versus
the typical friendly user-oriented Mac application program user interface.

I think AT&T is making a big mistake by not realizing that UNIX's design
and packaging should be targeted primarily at the needs of the application
developer.  The "iron mongers" should not be making the decisions about
the operating system software, since they have the wrong point of view.