timeout table overflow

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Sun Sep 14 07:40:23 AEST 1986

In article <1010 at batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> hurf at batcomputer.UUCP
(Hurf Sheldon) writes:
[Vax crashes with "panic: timeout table overflow"]
>how can I increase the table size and is there a
>way already devised for flushing the table periodically?

You do not want to flush the table.  The things in it are important!

The table size is determined by `ncallout'.  This is a `configurable'
parameter, appearing in /sys/YOUR_MACHINE/param.c.  This file is
normally copied from /sys/conf/param.c, which says

	int ncallout = 16 + NPROC;

where NPROC is `#define'd to something depending on MAXUSERS, where
MAXUSERS comes from your config file in /sys/conf/YOUR_MACHINE.
If you are running out of timeout table entries, you probably have
maxusers set too low too; but you can, if you wish, just raise
ncallout, either by editing the private param.c, or (more quickly)
with adb:

	% adb -w /vmunix
	ncallout?D
	_ncallout:
	_ncallout:	122
	ncallout?W 0t250
	_ncallout:
	_ncallout:	7a		=	fa
	$q
	%

This would raise ncallout from (e.g.) 122 decimal to 250 decimal.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu