P1003 System V compatible BSD-style job control

Jim Robinson jimr at hcrvx2.UUCP
Wed Sep 3 10:34:29 AEST 1986

*
I recently looked at the IEEE proposal to the P1003 committee on UNIX
standards re a System V compatible BSD-style job control mechanism (#P.047)
and it all seemed quite reasonable except for the fact that I could not
discern whether there existed a means of associating an arbitrary process
with the terminal. (BSD uses an ioctl). The one system call that I thought
might do this 'setpgrp2' quite clearly says that this "function does not
affect the process's terminal affiliation".  Assuming that the words
"association" and "affiliation" are interchangeable in this context, then
it would appear that this call does not do as I had thought it might.
Am I missing something, or is this correct wrt 'setpgrp2'. If the latter
is true, then what means is to be used to perform terminal association?

J.B. Robinson