Arcane modem configuration

Lerxt dave at murphy.UUCP
Fri Sep 5 08:33:20 AEST 1986

From: gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards,net.unix
Subject: Re: Arcane modem configuration (was Re: Modems on Ultrix)
Date: Fri, 22-Aug-86 17:48:21 EDT

In article <3254 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>)
writes:

>Chris Torek says that one can safely configure all terminal ports as
>though modems were going to be attached, and he's right.  I never
>understood why some people keep trying to build the distinction
>into their operating systems.  If DTE acts like DTE and DCE acts
>like DCE, everything works great.  Simply jumpering the direct-
>line terminal port cables correctly will suffice.

Two problems with this: 1: Some older async interfaces, like the DZ11, do
not have interrupts for the modem control lines, so the driver has to poll
them.  If you have 80 async ports and most of them are direct-connect, you
probably don't want the driver polling all 80 of them for ring indicator
continuously.  2: What about current-loop or other non-RS232 interfaces?
---
"Pick it up and put it in your pocket, or somebody else will" - Stan Ridgeway

Dave Cornutt, Gould Computer Systems, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
UUCP:  ...{sun,pur-ee,brl-bmd}!gould!dcornutt
 or ...!ucf-cs!novavax!houligan!dcornutt
ARPA: wait a minute, I've almost got it...

"The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."