where does bss come from?

Stanley Friesen friesen at psivax.UUCP
Thu Sep 4 01:37:42 AEST 1986

In article <513 at zeus.UUCP> bobr at zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) writes:
>To my recollection, BSS is an old mnemonic from early IBM days, standing for
>Block Started by Symbol, and related to BES, Block Ended by Symbol.

	Since this stuff is being posted, I will add my two cents
worth. These assembly pseudo-ops were/are not restricted to old IBM
systems, Honeywell/GE mainframes also use them. At least they used to,
and since they are still maintaining upward compatiblity I cannot
imagine them changing the assembler a great deal.
---

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ??