Fuji Eagle life expectancy

Eric Bergan eric at osiris.UUCP
Wed Sep 10 05:39:44 AEST 1986

	We have been having some strange problems with our Eagle
disk drives, and would like to see if others have experienced the
same thing. Basically, we will do a read/verify of the whole disk,
and it will check clean. We then do it a day later, and there are one
or two bad spots. We spare those out, so that the read/verify is clean,
but then the next day NEW errors show up. This is happening on more than
one drive, more than one controller, and in fact, more than one machine.

	Is gradual degradation normal for Eagles? We thought they
basically ran without difficulties, until they failed completely. On at
least one of the drives, we will shortly run out of tracks to use to
spare out bad tracks. How many bad tracks per disk is "normal"? How
sensitive are Eagles to power fluctuations?

	We are interested in hearing whatever experiences others have
had. Please reply by mail, and I will summarize to the network. Thanks.

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplcen!osiris!eric