segmentation violation

HUTCHISON hutch at whuxm.UUCP
Wed Sep 10 23:30:34 AEST 1986

On our 3B20 (although the problem is probably generic), it seems that
when I exceed the maximum space allowed for the stack, my process gets
sent a segmentation violation signal.  I would like to catch (and handle)
it but I have no room left on the stack for the signal catching routine.
I can try to do a setjmp() at the beginning of the series of calls that
cause the problem and then try to do a longjmp() in the catching routine,
but I really need to hold my breath and hope that there is enough room
for this (small) catching routine to execute. (long sentence, eh?)

Any other suggestions (besides "use a machine with demand
paging/virtual memory") ?

Robert Hutchison
ihnp4!whuxm!hutch