Emulex SC7002 + Fujitsu 2333 = trouble

Art Zemon zemon at fritz.UUCP
Thu Sep 25 04:47:21 AEST 1986

I just arrived at yet another one of those quaint points in my
career where I bless the distance between me and the engineers
at another company (in this case, Emulex).  I would likely be in
jail now if those turkeys were within an arm's reach.

For the last week my service company and I have been trying to
install a Fujitsu 2333 (330 Mb) disk drive on an Emulex SC7002
controller in a VAX 11/785.  The problem was that the controller
kept reporting an incorrect number of tracks for the drive.  The
drive is supposed to have 10 tracks but, under both Unix
(specially modified) and the Emulex diagnostic program, the
SC7002 reported 11 tracks.

FINALLY, after much bullying, Emulex technical support examined
the contents of the SC7002 configuration ROM and discovered that
it is simply wrong.  Soooo, if you are trying to use a Fujitsu
2333 and an Emulex SC7002, here is what you need to know:

If you are installing the disk as an emulated RM05 (300 Mb) then
you are fine.  Everything works and you don't have to worry
about a thing.  This is SC7002 configuration 2B from table A-2
in the manual.

If you are installing the disk as an expanded RM02 (330 Mb, 823
cylinders, 10 tracks, 64 sectors) then you probably need a new
configuration ROM.  The bad ROM number is 994F.  I don't have
the corrected one in hand yet but I suspect that it will be
994G.  You certainly want a revision later than F.  This is
configuration 2C or 2D (both have the problem).

There are two ways to tell if you are having this problem.  The
first is that Unix will find a screwy drive with 11 tracks.  How
that gets reported depends on your kernel.  The second is to run
the Emulex Massbus disk diagnostic, FMD000, test 6.  If you have
a bad ROM then you will see

    RM02 (823 Cylinders, 11 Tracks, 64 Sectors)

I hope this saves someone else some grief.  If the new ROM
doesn't solve the problem you can expect either another message
from me or a suicide note.     :-)     Be sure to stay up to
date on net.unix-wizards and net.suicide.

--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corp.