where does bss come from?

Pete Peterson rep at genrad.UUCP
Wed Sep 3 01:07:13 AEST 1986

In article <2627 at burdvax.UUCP> eric at burdvax.UUCP (Eric Marshall) writes:

>	Could someone please tell me where the name BSS comes from.
>The comments in /usr/include/a.out.h says that it is uninitialized
>data. What's the connection?

This first place I saw "BSS" was in the FAP assembler for IBM 704,709,
etc.  (Vacuum tube computers at the end of the 1950's).  It was a
pseudo-instruction meaning "block starting with symbol" which assigned
a label to the value of the current-location-counter then incremented
the current-location-counter by the supplied argument, e.g.  FUBAR  BSS
500 left an uninitialized block 500 words long whose and assigned FUBAR
to the first location of the block.  There was also a BES in case you
wanted your label at the end of the block instead of the beginning.

	pete peterson