ifconfig lo0 question, ultrix32 1.2

Dick Dramstad rad at mitre-bedford.arpa
Tue Sep 16 06:34:19 AEST 1986

Joe,

>We have 2 780's running Ultrix.  One runs version 1.1, the other we
>just installed with 1.2.  On the 1.2 host, syslog doesn't work.  The
>only difference I could tell between the two systems is that when I do
>`/etc/ifconfig lo0', the 1.1 system gives the flags UP,RUNNING but the
>1.2 system only says UP.  I recompiled syslog using 1.1 sources and the
>perror message was `Network is unreachable'.

>Any ideas what is wrong?  The fact that the RUNNING flag is not present
>apparently makes lo0 unusable; telnets to localhost apparently go over
>the ethernet rather than through the loopback, for example.

     We had the same problem on our 8600.  What was worse, all our
syslog entries ended up being sent to a default routing host, which
was elsewhere on the ARPAnet.  We finally found the problem after
looking at the default /etc/rc.local file supplied with the distro.
You'll need to use:

	/etc/ifconfig lo0 localhost

to cure your problem.  I don't know the "why" for this fix; I suppose
it's some Ultrix-specific 1.1->1.2 change.

Hope this helps,
Dick Dramstad (rad at mitre-bedford.arpa)