Request info on AT&T "S" product

D.B. Robinson dbr at foxvax5.UUCP
Sat Sep 6 00:23:14 AEST 1986

I am posting the article below for an associate, please respond to me
and I will forward the information to him:

I am interested in getting information on AT&T's statistical package
called "S".  In particular, I'd be interested in finding out

a) from the user's perspective, does S provide sufficient functionality
with an easy to use interface?

b) from a software maintenance perspective, what are the difficulties
in porting S? I'm considering using it in the VENIX System V environment,
which constrains data space to 64K.  Is that limitation crippling for
S? The hardware is an Intel 286 cpu with floating point support?

c) S appears to provide an extensive library of statistical routines.
Is it feasible to make this library available for program development
outside of the interactive environment?

d) Have any of you run into contractual pitfalls in putting S on your
own machine, particularly for OEM-type distribution?

------
on behalf of W. B. Robinson

(Douglas Robinson)
The Foxboro Company