unix system enhancements

Nick Andrew zeta at runx.OZ
Tue Sep 30 20:22:42 AEST 1986

    In Message-ID: <4120 at brl-smoke.ARPA> Geoffm at AFSC-HQ.arpa (USAFA)
    writes:

   >  I am interested in enhancing my UNIX system ... etc...

   > 	1.  Modify CSH so that it checks for the existence of a system wide
   > 	.cshrc and .login (obviously they could have different names) before
   > 	reading the users .cshrc and .login.  This would allow the system
   > 	manager (me) to create a standard environment without having to write
   > 	each user a .login and .cshrc and still allow the user to modify his
   > 	or her environment if they choose.

   Are you very worried about 1 block diskspace per user?  Obviously not.

   Give each user a single-line .cshrc or .login, which simply sources your
   system-wide one.     "source /etc/.syscshrc" or whatever.

   And if they decide they don't want a bar of your system-wide version, they
   can remove that line from the start.  And if they don't even know of its
   existence, you still have a "master" one.

   You can find me at....
ACSnet:    zeta at runx.oz
UUCP:      {seismo,hplabs,mcvax,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!runx.oz!zeta
Fidonet:   nick andrew@[155/213] @[155/201]  [---watch this space---]
Zeta:      nick at zeta, (02) 627-4177, Zeta Rtrs.
Mail:      "Zeta Microcomputer Software", P.O Box 177,
	   Riverstone NSW 2765 Aust.

"If something I say offends you then I must have hit a bullseye"