Programmer Kills Self Over Dispute with PATHALIAS Program

Greg Noel greg at ncr-sd.UUCP
Wed Sep 24 10:50:41 AEST 1986

To my surprise, I haven't seen an answer to this.  Usually, requests of this
nature cause an avalanche of replies......  I have taken the liberty of using
fluke.com; fluke.uucp is similar.  Since smail strips the ".uucp" suffix
before resolving the name, using the .com domain is a better example.

In article <356 at tc-jeff.fluke.UUCP> jeff at fluke.UUCP (Jeff Stearns) writes:
>    I'm trying to tell pathalias the following:
>	- We are named "FLUKE.UUCP". [ to become FLUKE.COM ]
fluke	= fluke.com	# machine fluke is also known as fluke.com
>	- The "FLUKE" domain comprises the subdomains {.TC, .MIS}.
>	    - The "FLUKE" domain is handled by the host "fluke".
fluke	.fluke.com	# fluke is the gateway for the FLUKE.COM domain
>	    - The "TC.FLUKE" subdomain is also handled by the host "fluke".
fluke	.tc.fluke.com	# This could be combined with the previous line
>	    - The "MIS.FLUKE" subdomain is handled by the host "evtmis1".
evtmis1	= mis.fluke.com	# machine evtmis1 is also known as MIS.FLUKE.COM
evtmis1	.mis.fluke.com	# evtmis1 is the gateway for MIS.FLUKE.COM

And we presume that fluke talks to evtmis1.....
fluke	evtmis1(LOCAL)	# Note that this should be bang routed

>I know what output I want from pathalias -- something sorta like this:
>	fluke       ...!fluke!%s
>	.fluke      ...!fluke!%s
>	.tc.fluke   ...!fluke!%s
>	.mis.fluke  ...!fluke!evtmis1!%s

The above lines (plus a dummy line to route from me to fluke) produce:
	fluke		fluke!%s
	fluke.com	fluke!%s
	.fluke.com	fluke!%s
	.tc.fluke.com	fluke!%s
	.mis.fluke.com	fluke!evtmis1!%s
	mis.fluke.com	fluke!evtmis1!%s
	evtmis1		fluke!evtmis1!%s
This seems to be what you want.

>	Mail to user at FLUKE.UUCP should go to ...!fluke!user.
Yep.
>	Mail to user at TC.FLUKE.UUCP should go to ...!fluke!user.
Yep.  Actually, since tc.fluke.com is not directly in the pathalias output,
this will go to ...!fluke!tc.fluke.uucp!user, so locally you should also alias
	fluke	= tc.fluke.com
to cause it to be deliverd.
>	Mail to user at MIS.FLUKE.UUCP should go to ...!fluke!evtmis1!user.
Sure does.

>I'm playing with variations on this theme:
>    fluke      .fluke		/* host "fluke"
>    private   {.tc, .mis}
>    .fluke = @{.tc, .mis}(LOCAL)
>    .mis      evtmis1
>    fluke @evtmis1(LOCAL), microsoft(DIRECT), ...<many other uucp connections>

It is also possible to do it this way, but it requires a level of understanding
so great that, as far as I can tell, only Peter Honeyman can make it work.  It
also requires global knowledge of other domains to avoid naming conflicts --
not even the "private" declaration is sufficient in general.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg at ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg at nosc.ARPA