Convenient logins vs security

Stewart Levin stew at hanauma.UUCP
Sun Sep 14 04:01:17 AEST 1986

------->
I'd like to set up a convenient login account "lpq" so that users
standing next to our printer can run /usr/ucb/lpq by simply typing
"lpq" to the "Login:" prompt at any of the nearby terminals.  The
following /etc/passwd line does the trick:

	lpq::12:0:Ipq:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/ucb/lpq

where I've placed a .hushlogin file in uucppublic to supress the
usual display of /etc/motd and other login notices.

My concern is whether this no-password account would permit outsiders
access to our system.  I'm not concerned here about inside hackers,
only about outside breakin.  We're running a 4.2BSD clone (Convex Unix 4.0).

Reply by e-mail is fine, even preferable, and you may mail to "root" if
desired.  Thanks for any info.

			UUCP: ...!decvax!hanauma!stew