magtape device naming conventions

Randy Sebra randy at AMSAA.arpa
Thu Sep 18 23:40:34 AEST 1986

Norm,

     Perhaps I don't completely understand your question, but it seems
to me that you may be needlessly complicating things.  What is wrong
with using symbolic links, which are supported by both 4.xbsd and SYS
V?  You could then call your devices anything you wish, say t1600_nr for
the 1600 BPI no rewind device.
     One thing you don't mention about your naming convention is what to
do if you have more than one tape drive on a system{mt1 mt5 mt9 mt13}?
It is quite conceivable that this will happen.

Randy Sebra
Army Materiel Systems Analysis Activity
Attn: AMXSY-DA
Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland 21005
Phone: (301) 278-6679 (AV) 298-6679 (FTS) 939-6679