seeking a development system (SUN)

The News System <news> news at brl-smoke.ARPA
Tue Sep 30 00:46:06 AEST 1986

A couple of departments at MITRE Washington have been using SUNs for several
years.  We've grown from SUN/100's, then upgraded them to SUN2's and now use
SUN3's Etherneted with the SUN2's.  Most users don't have a SUN terminal and
use the CPU via either a SYTEK broadband network or an Ethernet TAC connected
to dumb terminals (VT-100, VT220, Hazeltine ESPRIT, TAB-132, i100, etc.).

The SUN/100's were slow but could handle 2-3 users each without objectionable
delays.

The SUN2's were much nicer, and when supplied with at least 4Meg of memory
would handle 4-6 users each with out objectionable delay, except when we
had multiple 'troff' running.

The SUN3's are a breath of fresh air!  I usually see 10-20 users logged on,
several 'troff', 'emacs', and have only been annoyed once when the other
computers in the department were down and everybody logged onto the SUN's.
Sorry, I didn't check the loading factors.
The primary SUN3 has mucho memory (16Meg ?), 800Meg bytes of disk (2 Eagles).

What can I say?  SUN makes a nice machine.  But watch out for disk problems
with older Eagles, they can't handle the speed.

We've used the SUN's for development of software for 68K based network devices
(PDP-11/70 Host-Front-End, Terminal Access Controller, Gateways, Network
diagnostic systems)  Programs were compiled, linked, converted to
Motorola "S" records and downloaded at 19.2K baud.  (NOTE: If you're
interested in utilities to perform 'text', 'data', and/or 'bss' relocation,
"S" record conversion, and downloading, contact me directly.)

We also use the SUN's for all our document preparation, some remote procedure
research, security experiments, ARPANET & MILNET mail, VLSI development.

The VAX users who are doing vision and AI research are impressed and are
considering converting to SUN3's.

I'm not the system administrator, but if you have questions about specifics
I can point you in the right direction.

<Ad Astra Per Sciencia>

Daryl Crandall				 ARPANET:      daryl at mitre-gateway.org
The MITRE Corporation