4.2BSD and the VAX 11/780 clock (try again)

Harvard Townsend harv%ksuvax1.BITNET at wiscvm.arpa
Sat Sep 27 17:24:39 AEST 1986

It looks like the first attempt for this message was gobbled up somewhere
along the line, so I'll try again.  We are having a problem with the
11/780 clock and 4.2BSD setting the data and time when rebooting.  Upon
reboot, 4.2BSD comes up with a bogus date and time - it is sometimes
a few hours off, others a few days, and others a few months.  The maintenance
folks have replaced the clock module in the VAX, but the symptom persists.
Their suspicion is that it is a 4.2BSD problem (they, of course, know
nothing about UNIX - "If you were running VMS, ...", they say).  Has
anyone had this problem before?  If so, do you have a fix?  Thanks.
(This has been cross-posted to info-vax).
Harvard Townsend, Systems Administrator
Kansas State University, Dept. of Computer Science
Manhattan, KS 66506   (913)532-6350
CSNET:  harv at kansas-state -or- harv%kansas-state at csnet-relay.arpa
                          -or- harv%kansas-state at relay.cs.net
BITNET: harv at ksuvax1.bitnet -or- harv%ksuvax1.bitnet at WISCVM.WISC.EDU