ifconfig hangs with proteon ringnet card.

swa at xx.lcs.mit.EDU swa at xx.lcs.mit.EDU
Tue Sep 2 13:42:08 AEST 1986

I have a VAX 11/750 running BSD 4.2.  The VAX has a uba0 controlling 3
ra81 disks, a DZ, an rk07 drive, and a Proteon UNIBUS 10-megabit
ringnet card (device name vv0).

The vv0 is a new peripheral for this VAX.  The symptom I'm
experiencing is that the command "ifconfig vv0 (any address)" causes
UNIX to hang.

I've tried "ifconfig 18.10.0.91" (the card is configured as node #
91), "ifconfig lcsnet" (lcsnet is defined in /etc/networks as 18.10.0)
and "ifconfig 18.10.0".  It hangs for all of them. I think the
switches are set properly (I copied them off of a board that works in
another VAX, except for the node #, which I set myself), and the
kernel sources are not to blame (I compiled the kernel from the same
sources that currenly run in the other VAX).  I have also removed the
NPG jumper, so that shouldn't be a problem (the ringnet card is
replacing an Interlan 10-megabit ethernet card that used to live in
the same slot).  In addition, the system DID recognize the vv0 (it
printed the message "vv0 at uba0 csr 164000 vec 260, ipl 14" during
the autoconfig process).  I must have done something wrong.  Can
anybody help me?

Steven Augart
swa at xx.lcs.mit.edu