YP required with NFS?

at BERKELEY.EDU at BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Jan 9 08:47:35 AEST 1987

Yes, you can run NFS without yp. When we first started installing sun
clusters , the yp packets were doing awfull things to the uvaxen on
the same ethernet, so we turned off yp until such a time the uvaxen
got fixed.

And yes, some sort of service like yp is needed. However, yp is *not*
the answer. Having two versions of some files, the need to use ypcat
to get the "real" version of things, and the inability to get to the
files if they are being updated are all lossages. A nice, simple
approach would be to make /etc/hosts, and other such things a symlink
onto a remote mounted file system. I can't see any problems with that
approach, (other than needing the real files there while you boot),
but there are probably some. Anyone tried something like this yet?

	<mike