Speedup idea for troff/nroff

Ken Greer kg at elan.UUCP
Thu Jan 8 11:37:32 AEST 1987

in article <804 at dg_rtp.UUCP>, meissner at dg_rtp.UUCP (Michael Meissner) says:

> In article <387 at ivax.doc.ic.ac.uk> lmjm at doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin) writes:
>>
>> Would it be possible to use the unexec routine to create a
>> preloaded version by running troff to read in the macro package
>
> This is fixed in DWB's nroff (documenter's workbench, AT&T's repackaging of
> nroff/troff).  Unfortunately, troff does not yet seem to have this option.
> I wonder whether release 2.0 of DWB will allow -c and -k for ditroff.

The compacted macros have been entirely removed from DWB 2.0.
(They never worked quite right.)  But if it's any help,
both DWB 2.0 Nroff and Troff are TWICE AS FAST as the ones in DWB 1.0!
Most all tables, especially macro lookup tables are now hash coded.
Our benchmarks show a performance improvement of a factor of 2 across
the board on all machines (from PCs to mainframes).  A big help
to those troff-hogged CPUs.
--
Ken Greer
ELAN Computer Group